DPSST Armed Security Upgrade
This course is required by law for ALL Armed Security Providers* in the state of Oregon.
In order to work Armed Security the student must successfully complete a 24-hour (3-8 hour sessions) course requiring classroom time, a written exam, a demonstrated skills assessment, and a handgun qualification course.
This course covers the following topics:
- Sound Judgment and Preparedness,
- Use of Force
- Nomenclature and Inspection
- Care and Cleaning
- Admin. Loading and Unloading
- Firearm (Handgun) Safety
- Tactical Safety
As well as covering the laws and liabilities associated with the additional responsibilities of carrying a firearm, this course EXCEEDS the Minimum standard for the State C.H.L. (Concealed Handgun License) requirements.
You will need to provide the following equipment:
- A duty ready handgun**
- A holster that covers the trigger guard, and has an inside thumb brake.
- Your duty gear as you intend to carry it. (We will assist you in this matter if you have questions)
- 150 of practice ammunition
- Hearing and eye protection
- Brimmed Hat and Cargo Pocket Pants highly recommended
There is an Annual Refresher Course in addition to the Armed Upgrade. This 4-hour course is designed to keep you sharp, and refresh your skills, as well as keeping you up to speed on changes in the industry. The Armed Refresher Course requires fifty practice rounds for training (subject to your company policy).
*Note the Armed Upgrade course is only half of the training you need, you also must complete the Unarmed Basic course (12 hours) to work as an armed Security Officer.
** Duty ready handgun recommendations: Glock, or other major firearms manufacturer
To schedule an Armed Security Officer Upgrade or Refresher class, please contact us.
Be Safe Out There!